Hello Sanderlin Sea Turtle Learning Community,
I hope everyone had a wonderful week! We are back into the swing of things for this semester as we Celebrate Literacy Week and the 100th Day of School. In addition, our MYP Basketball teams keep doing great things out on the court as their season has been flying by. The final boys game is on 1/24 at Azalea Middle and the last two girls games are 1/25 at JHOP and 1/26 at Azalea. I want to also say congratulations to our students that won special recognition in the Kids Tag Art ceremony on Thursday evening. Our very own Jenni Reilly PYP Art teacher won the 3rd Place Winner in the District Teacher Art Contest!! We had three incredible student winners: Sanya Patel, Altazara Ross and Claire Leach. In addition, Claire won the top district Tax Collector Choice award for her ocean themed, vibrant art. Congratulations to these students on their awesome art!
I also want to take a moment out to recognize Senora Leal as our Sanderlin Teacher of the Year award winner. She will be celebrated and recognized in the Evening of Excellence district ceremony on Weds., January 26th. Also, we want to recognize Shawnta Marion as our Support Employee of the Year winner. We will recognize her at an in house Sanderlin celebration on Friday, January 28th. These are two above and beyond Sanderlin employees! We thank them for their incredible dedication and commitment to the students and staff at Sanderlin!
My reminders for the week include:
1) Don’t forget to participate in Celebrate Literacy Week. The daily activities are attached and also posted on the Sanderlin website. Literacy Week – 2022.png
2) Reminder from the PTSA that the Tortuga Trot is tomorrow, Saturday, morning. Registration starts at 8:15 am at the large shelter at Dell Holmes Park. The 5k begins at 9 am and the Fun Run will follow. If you missed the tshirt order deadline there will be a small quantity available for purchase at the event. Good luck to all of the participants, and have fun!
3) 3rd through 5th grade girls, we are bringing Girls on the Run back to Sanderlin this spring! GOTR is a wonderful program focusing on the value of teamwork, making a positive impact on the world and our community, and inspiring an appreciation for fitness and healthy habits. The program begins the week of February 21st, so please look out for more information on registration.
4) 6th Grade is going on a field trip on Monday to MOFA.
5) MYP Honor Roll Assembly on Friday 1/28 from 2:00 – 3:00 pm. Families may attend virtually at:
6) PTSA is holding a Spirit Wear sale from January 22nd-February 6th. Items will be delivered the week of March 1st. Please visit sanderlin.memberhub.com/store to place your order.
7) Lunch Pal Volunteers needed: A Lunch Pal Volunteer meets 30 mins once a week with a student in need of encouragement and support. We currently have a great need for Lunch Pal mentors for our middle school students.
Meetings are facilitated either in person or online via Zoom. If you are interested in learning more, I invite you to attend an Online Lunch Pal Workshop. Please email Brenna Arch at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or would like additional information. Please pass along this information to family and friends.
You can register for a workshop using this link:
8) Parents of bus riders, this is another reminder to please sign up for Bus Bulletin so you can be notified if your child’s bus is delayed or has a change in route number. You can register at www.busbulletin.com for this free service. It only takes a minute to register, and notifications are sent via text and email. The information from Bus Bulletin is provided directly from Transportation; the school does not send out notifications. In addition, if your child’s bus is delayed and you decide to drop your child off, you MUST drop off in the car line, not the bus circle. This is a district rule for the safety of all. Although the morning car line may look long, it moves quickly.
Have a healthy, safe and wonderful weekend!
Carrie A. Cormier
Principal, Sanderlin K-8 IB World School