Hello Sanderlin Sea Turtle Learning Community,
I hope everyone had a wonderful week this week. I want to congratulate our MYP Girls Basketball Team for their first win on the court this week! They did an excellent job. I also want to thank everyone who has been showing up to support our teams. I am also very excited to celebrate the successes of our students from second quarter on the 21st for PYP and the 28th for MYP. The schedule for the PYP Awards day and the virtual link for families to join is in this message!
My reminders for the week include:
1) Please remember that the front of the school is closed to all vehicle traffic except buses from 8:25-8:55AM and 2:45-3:30PM. ALL students who are dropped off in the morning or picked up in the afternoon during this time frame MUST be dropped off or picked up in car line. This is a district rule put in place for the safety of students, families, drivers and staff members. If you need to come into the front office, please park in the lot on car side and walk to the office. And please keep in mind that while our staff members enforce the rules, they do not create them; please do not take your frustrations out on staff who are doing their jobs.
2) Parents of bus riders: as you likely know, there is a nationwide shortage of bus drivers. On top of that, there is COVID. Both factors have caused some disruptions in some of our routes. Please note that the district is doing everything they can to keep routes covered. Sometimes that means that a single driver is covering multiple routes; other times it means combining routes. It often means there are delays. Trust me when I say that we understand your frustrations with these delays. We feel them, too! We ask that you continue to show patience and grace to your child’s bus driver. If you haven’t already, please sign up for Bus Bulletin at www.busbulletin.com. This quick & free service alerts parents when there are delays or bus substitutions.
3) Monday is no school in honor of Dr. MLK Jr. — We encourage you to participate in the nation-wide MLK Day of Service to make Monday a day “ON” rather than a day off. The commemoration of the MLK Day of Service is a call to act on Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s legacy of social justice and equity. This day marks our opportunity to recommit as citizens by volunteering in service to others. Through those efforts, we can strengthen ties to our communities and one other while we address critical issues that divide us. See the attached flier to learn about different ways you and your family may take action! *Please share photos of your child (in action) with Mrs. Herman @ email@example.com.
4) We will be celebrating National Literacy Week January 24-28. See attached flier for details of ways to get festive as we “Launch into Literacy.”
5) The 2nd Quarter Award Ceremony for PYP will be on Friday, January 21, 2022!
9:00 – 9:25 — 2nd Grade
9:30 – 9:55 — 1st Grade
10:00 – 10:25 — Kindergarten
1:35 – 2:00 — 4th Grade
2:05 – 2:30 — 3rd Grade
2:35 – 3:00 — 5th Grade
Please use this link to join:
I hope everyone has a wonderful long weekend! We will see you on Tuesday morning.
Carrie A. Cormier
Principal, Sanderlin K-8 IB World School