Hello Sanderlin Sea Turtle Learning Community,
I hope everyone had a smooth return to school this week. It has definitely been really great on campus. The PYP MAP celebration today was a huge hit. It was so exciting to see how many students made progress and met their goals last semester. Our students have really been focused and working hard. I definitely saw this in our 1st semester data.
It is now time to buckle down and focus on 2nd Semester. We still have a lot of work to do, but promise some fun festivities throughout the semester as well.
My reminders for the week include:
1) Report Cards will come out on January 11th. Please remember that we send report cards electronically, but if you want a paper copy, please send a message to Danielle Kusek at email@example.com.
2) Our 2nd quarter academic celebrations will be on January 21st for PYP and January 28th for MYP. Parent attendance will remain virtual for this event and we will send a schedule for these events in the next week.
3) Thank you to those families who donated to our backpack drive. We are so proud of our sea turtle community for taking action to help those in need. We were able to pack about 100 backpacks that were handed out in our community over winter break!
4) Just a reminder that family vacations should not be scheduled during the school year, except for during district-approved breaks and days off. The loss of instructional time, particularly when students are out for more than just a couple days, can impact your child’s academic growth. Even if your child is working on iStation, Dreambox and other assignments, it doesn’t make up for the in-school instruction that’s provided. Your child’s attendance record is also affected as these days are unexcused.
5) Should you or a household member test positive for COVID, it is important that you report this to the school. We are required to report cases to the district’s COVID Team, who work closely with the Department of Health, to not only track numbers, but to determine when it is safe for students to return. In addition, it enables us to correctly code your child’s attendance in Focus. We appreciate your cooperation!
6) The District Application Period is now open for the 2022-2023 school year. If you are interested in pursuring another magnet or fundamental program, or have a child in either 5th or 8th grade, this information is for you. Please complete an application in the Student Reservation System between now and 5PM January 14th. Your address and email in Focus must be current, and you will need your Focus username & password. If you need assistance with updating this information, please contact the front office. Current 5th grade families only, you MUST complete an application for your child to attend Sanderlin next year. Failure to complete this application process is an automatic forfeit of your child’s seat in our program. If your child is in grades K-4 or 6-7 and you wish to stay at Sanderlin, no action is needed.
7) Student Council is having Spirit Week for the MYP students. This is to show our school pride and earn 20 Turtle Tokens each day.
Monday “Flock”/Group Day – dress up as your favorite group of people/band etc.
Tuesday – Pajama Day
Wednesday – Decades Day – dress up as any decade
Thursday – Elementary You Day – dress as you looked in Elementary School
Friday – Famous Friday – Dress as anyone famous
DRESS CODES STILL APPLY
Don’t forget that next weekend is a long weekend. January 17th is a holiday for Martin Luther King Day. School will resume on January 18th.
I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
Carrie A. Cormier
Principal, Sanderlin K-8 IB World School