Hello Sanderlin Sea Turtle Learning Community,
I hope that everyone had a great week this week. I wanted to say thank you to all of the Veteran’s and their family members that came to the breakfast on Veteran’s Day. We truly appreciate the service of our Veteran’s and it was a great event!
My reminders for the week include:
– Tuesday, Nov. 16th from 6:00 -7:00 pm there will be a SAC meeting.
– Wednesday, Nov. 17th is the Great American Teach In. Your students will receive presentations throughout the day from community members regarding their careers and professions. I want to extend a huge thank you to all of our presenters that have signed up to support GATI on the 17th. This is such a fun day for students and your participation is greatly appreciated.
– We are continuing to see students dropped off early for school before the school day starts. Please note that the earliest a student can be dropped off to school is 8:25. If your student is being dropped off early they are NOT supervised. This past week, we have seen an increase in misbehaviors among the students being dropped off. We will begin to monitor this and parents will be notified if your child is one of these students as this is a violation of our magnet agreement. Please note that we do have an R’Club before and after care program if your child needs supervision outside of the student day.
– After Thanksgiving Break, we will be suspending outside eating for lunch. The option for outside eating during MYP continues to produce significant behavior and supervision challenges. There have not been any reported positive COVID cases at Sanderlin in many weeks and there have not been any quarantines. We will continue our social distancing and hygiene protocols during lunch but outdoor eating will no longer be an option. We will also resume our rule that parents can come and eat lunch with their children on Friday’s only and they have to be a Level 2 volunteer to be able to do so. Please reach out to me directly if you have questions or concerns about these changes.
– The JBS DEI Committee of the PTSA continues the open conversation about diversity, equity, and inclusion by way of the JBS DEI Talk Series this Monday at 6 pm. Participants are asked to watch the following video ahead of time; the group will meet for a 1-hour open, community conversation about the thought-provoking content. Watch these two short videos and join us for our talk series Monday, November 15, from 6-7pm. If you miss this one, there will be more videos to discuss. Mark your calendars for the next talk series conversation on 12/06 from 6-7pm. Please come to any of the discussions that you can. Review the ground rules here.
Week 4: How do we support every child by being racially literate? This week two videos lay out an optimistic problem.
Every Kid Needs a Champion – Rita Pierson – TED talks Education – Discusses educating through supportive relationships. (8 minutes)
What It Takes to Be Racially Literate – Priya Vulchi and Winona Guo – TEDWomen 2017 (13 minutes)
– Just a reminder that there will be no school from Nov. 22nd – Nov. 26th for the Thanksgiving Holiday break. You will not receive another parent message until the weekend before we return from break. There will be several Thanksgiving Break incentive challenges coming out next week with some really fun incentives attached. Please be sure to encourage your students to participate in these challenges to help with the continuity of learning for our students.
I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!
Carrie A. Cormier
Principal, Sanderlin K-8 IB World School