Hello Sanderlin Sea Turtle Learning Community,
I hope everyone had a great week! We had so much fun celebrating National SAVE Day on Wednesday and doing our Pink Out for Breast Cancer Awareness today. Check out our Twitter page on the Sanderlin website to see some fun pics of our celebrations.
This week we will celebrate Red Ribbon Week! Please see the attachment on the email version of this message for the daily celebrations.
My reminders for the week include:
1) I am excited to announce that we will host our 1st quarter Awards Ceremonies for PYP. On WEDNESDAY, Oct. 27 we will be hosting grade-level assemblies to 🎉 CELEBRATE 🎉our amazing students growing their brain during the first Marking Period!
Students will be recognized for the following from MP1:
• Honor Roll/ Principal’s list
• Istation: student with the most Istation mins per class
• Dreambox: All students that reached “quarter goal” (K-2 kiddos that averaged 5 lessons per week & 3-5 kiddos that averaged 10 lessons per week)
9:00 – 9:25 (4th grade)
9:30 – 9:50 (1st grade)
10:00 – 10:25 (kinder) then they stay for lunch starting at 10:30
— LUNCHES —
1:20 – 1:50 2nd grade (stays after their lunch)
2:00 – 2:20 (3rd grade)
2:30 – 2:50 (5th grade)
Families are invited to attend these ceremonies virtually ONLY. We will NOT be allowing in person viewing for this quarter.
Here is the link that we will use to STREAM the celebrations so families can attend virtually:
2) The JBS DEI Committee of the PTSA continues the open conversation about diversity, equity, and inclusion by way of the JBS DEI Talk Series this Monday at 6pm. Participants are asked to watch the following video ahead of time; the group will meet for a 1-hour open, community conversation about the thought-provoking content. Watch this video and join us for our talk series Monday, October 25, from 6-7pm. If you miss this one, there will be more videos to discuss on the following dates: 11/15 | 12/06. Please come to any of the discussions that you can. Review the ground rules here.
Week 3: Shift discussion of race to more than black/white and more than individuals
Asian Misrepresentation in Media | Peter Westacott | TEDxIthacaCollege
3) Great American Teach-In: We are still in need of speakers for our Great American Teach-In Event. We would love to have presentations from a wide variety of careers, hobbies, or on a subject you can teach a class.
We have also had some special requests from a couple of our teachers for careers including:
For Elementary students: a Musician or a career in the music industry.
For Middle School students: Theatre, Music, Computer Programmer, Engineer, or someone in the Military (any branch).
Please forward the sign up information to any family, friends and our local community. Participants do not have to be school volunteers and can register online using this link: https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=BZM8c9c5GkaGb_3ye_PH_5gp5nIFLNtEulE1gqotEkpUQVZLNjYwTjQwRFZHU0o0S1MxRVdSVjZJNi4u
Please contact Brenna Arch with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for supporting our students during this important event!
4) Lunch Pal Volunteers needed: A Lunch Pal Volunteer meets 30 mins once a week with a student in need of encouragement and support. Meetings are facilitated either in person or online via Zoom and you can meet from your home or workplace. If you are interested in learning more, I invite you to attend an Online Lunch Pal Workshop. Please email Brenna Arch at email@example.com if you have any questions or would like additional information.
5) Get a Boo-ritto and support the PTSA! We will have a Chipotle fundraiser on
• 780 4th St N, Saint Petersburg, FL 33701-2322
It’s easy! Just purchase great food and let the cashier know you are there for the James B. Sanderlin fundraiser so we receive credit for your purchase! Chipotle will give us 33% of the sales. Don’t want to eat there? You can also order online and pick-up. Use code: AYZDBGM.
6) Please take advantage of Level Up, the free, virtual enrichment program that helps you and your child get the most out of their PCS Connects digital learning devices. This week, students can take a virtual art field trip at The James Museum with artist Stan Natchez from 6-7 p.m., Tuesday, Oct. 26. They can also sharpen their research skills by learning how to use World Book Online and Gale Databases. This session will be held 6-6:30 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 27. Find these sessions and more at pcsb.org/levelup.
7) Per the Student Handbook, please note that for safety & security reasons at the end of the day, parents may not sign out children after 2:30 p.m. Due to bus regulations, no foot or car traffic is allowed in the front parking lot while buses are parked and/or loading between 2:30 and 3:30 p.m. If a parent must pick up a child early for an appointment (remember excellent attendance is a requirement in this magnet school), the child must be picked up and signed out prior to 2:30 p.m.
8) Please remember to get approval with classroom teachers before sending in any celebration snacks. Per district policy, sugary items such as cakes/cupcakes, soda and candy are not permitted. Instead, we encourage healthy snacks such as muffins, fruit cups, individually packaged vegetables with dip, individual boxes of raisins, etc.
I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!
Carrie A. Cormier
Principal, Sanderlin K-8 IB World School