Hello Sanderlin Sea Turtle Learning Community,
I hope everyone had a great week! I want to thank all of you who have attended the Zoom DEI Meetings. These conversations are important for moving our school forward. I also want to congratulate both our Boys and Girls Volleyball teams for finishing the first ever Sanderlin volleyball season. Our students fought hard and grew tremendously over the course of the season. A big shout out to Kim Kearney and Flo Brazukas for coaching these teams. Their hard work with our students is appreciated more than they know!
My reminders for the week include:
1) I have seen an significant increase in tardies and/or early pick ups. I know that many things happen, such as doctor’s appts., etc. but please note that we monitor tardies and early releases just like we monitor attendance. A child being late to class 10 minutes for 10 times is 100 minutes of missed instruction. The amount of learning that happens in our classrooms at Sanderlin over the course of 100 minutes is significant! Please make sure you are getting your students to school on time and for the full instructional day!
2) PTSA Taco and Tie Dye Event is on Tuesday October 18th from 6-8pm
Tacos and Tie Dye is an outdoor event at our school where families can purchase a white Sanderlin spirit shirt (limited supply) or bring their own to tie dye. Flying for Tacos food truck and Kona Ice will also be available. It is casual and fun evening and a great way to get to know other families at our school.
3) Attention, parents of book-loving kids! The Fall Scholastic Book Fair is coming to our school Tuesday October 12th – Monday October 18th. The bookfair will be open to students only during school hours. We also plan to be open during our PTSA Taco and Tie Dye event on Tuesday October 12th from 6-8pm.
We are still in need of cashier volunteers during the school day. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in volunteering for this event.
4) Our Great American Teach-In Event is on Wednesday November 17th. We invite parents and members of our community to share information with students about their career, hobby, or to organize an activity. You can choose to present in-person during one class period, multiple classes or pre-record a video presentation for classes to view. If you are interested in speaking to our students, please register here.
Our students look forward to this event each school year. Please forward this information to friends and family. If you have any questions, please contact Brenna Arch, our Family and Community Liaison at email@example.com.
5) While all students will receive meals at no charge for the 2021-2022 school year, the student meal benefits application provides other key benefits – additional funding for schools, technology assistance and discounts for students such as clothing and college entrance exams. All households are encouraged to apply. Completing the online application is secure, convenient and worry-free. Results are available within two working days. Eligibility is based on household size and income. Once approved, the benefits are good for the entire year.
Online application for student free meal benefits are available at www.myschoolapps.com.
Have a great weekend!
Carrie A. Cormier
Principal, Sanderlin K-8 IB World School