Hello Sanderlin Sea Turtle Learning Community,
I hope everyone had a great week this week. It is hard to believe but we have reached the mid-term reporting period. Please look for your child’s teacher(s) to send home a mid-term report of progress over the next week. In addition, you can check Portal for grades for 3rd – 8th graders. If you need to establish a portal account, please contact the front office and we will help you get set up.
1) At this time, all computers for our 3rd – 8th grade PCS Connects initiative have been distributed.
2) We will be starting MYP clubs during the school day in the next couple of weeks. Mrs. Kearney will be conducting a Lego club and would like to ask for any donations of extra legos that families have around. Please send any Legos you can donate to the front office for Mrs. Kearney.
3) Our MYP students have not been following the rules of outside lunch for COVID protocols. Today the courtyard and sidewalks were covered in food and trash. Most students are running around, not masked and not distancing as they should. This is creating huge health and safety concerns. I will be sending home a permission slip next week with MYP students and only students with a completed permission slip returned from their parent indicating they want to eat outside due to health reasons for COVID will be granted. Any students who are eating outside will be given assigned seating that is socially distanced and will be required to remain seated unless given permission to get up. Thank you for your understanding.
4) I want to congratulate our MYP Girls and Boys Volleyball Teams for some awesome volleyball games last week. This is the first year that Sanderlin has had a competing district volleyball team and our students did awesome! The energy and teamwork was evident in their interactions on the court. I was so proud!! Our teams play again on Monday at John Hopkins Middle and on Wednesday at Bay Point Middle. Games begin at 4:45. Please consider coming out to support your Sanderlin Sea Turtle Volleyball team!
5) On Tuesday, Sept. 14th there will be a virtual SAC meeting at 6:00 pm and a virtual PTSA meeting at 7:00 pm. Please plan to attend if you showed interest in being a member of one of these associations.
Lastly, I want to emphasize the importance of following our safety protocols and procedures on campus. I am witnessing some very inappropriate behaviors from parents at arrival and dismissal. First, there are NO cars allowed in the bus line before or after school while buses are loading and unloading. This is extremely important for safety and is a district policy. Second, if you are bringing your child to school in a car in the morning you need to drop them off in front of the school in the car line. You should NOT drop your child in the street on 23rd St., pull in the grass and walk your child up, or park on the road to walk your child up. This is against city rules. Law enforcement will be present next week to give tickets to families that are not abiding by the traffic laws. Please make sure you are following these very clear rules and procedures. The safety of my students at Sanderlin is always my TOP priority and the actions I am seeing are not safe. I appreciate your support with this matter.
I hope everyone has a wonderful and relaxing weekend!
Carrie L. Cormier
Principal, Sanderlin K-8 IB World School